Monday, June 8, 2015

A cup of coffee with Hud Haas, superintendent at Waterchase Golf Course

This cup of joe happened while leaning on the bed of a pickup early one morning in Fort Worth, Texas, at Colonial Country Club during the Crowne Plaza Invitational. Hud has been visiting Colonial since the late 70s and comes back each year to catch up with old friends.


You’re a Fort Worth boy, right?
Yep, grew up in Fort Worth, attended Southwest High School and got started in the golf business working as a cart boy at Pecan Valley. Also spent a couple years in military school during some of my more “adventurous” years. It was an awesome experience that taught me a lot about time management, discipline and respect. Very helpful to me throughout my life.

Your family has a long history at Colonial?
We were Colonial members for 10 years during the late 70s and 80s. My father owned a pharmaceutical supply company and we all learned to play golf here. It is a special place for all of us.

Speaking of the Haas clan, can you name everybody in order of age?  

Easy.
Holly is an instructor at Leonard Golf Links.
I’m next, and the Superintendent at Waterchase Golf Club.
Hans is my Assistant at Waterchase.
Heather lives in Cleveland and has four girls.
Hunter is playing on the Web.com tour.
Heidi is a golf professional at Geneva National in Wisconsin.
Hawni works at a golf course in Cincinnati.
  
Of course, next question is, why all the H’s? 
According to Mom and Dad, absolutely no rhyme or reason, it just happened.

How are your parents?   
They are doing great. Dad is an artist now and is still playing golf. My mom, Karen, is doing very well too.

Cool that 6 out of 7 siblings are working in the golf business. How did that happen?
I attribute it all to my dad’s love of the game and our exposure to it at a young age.

Does your mom play?
True story – she has played one hole in her entire life. Believe it or not, she made a par on #4 here at Colonial and quit while she was ahead. Hasn’t played a hole since.

How long have you been at Waterchase?
17 years. Nick Martin, the owner of the course, hired me in 1998. I have always worked for one owner and Nick is like an adopted granddad to me. He treats me like family and that is why I have been there 17 years. He trusts me and lets me do what I need to do. I don’t even have to ask for permission to cut down a tree.

He built the course as an investment in the late 90s when golf was booming and has stuck with it thru hard times in the golf business. He has now evolved into a part-owner and, at 91 years old, is still involved with the club management. He comes out three to four times per year and even plays the course when he can.


You have a couple of great assistants at Waterchase. Tell us about them.
TB Ruiz has been by my side for 15 years and is an invaluable part of my team. His title is assistant, but he does everything – assistant, mechanic, foreman. I don’t even remember where he worked before he came here – maybe Riverside in Fort Worth, working for David Denley. I am very fortunate to have him.

And, I mentioned my brother Hans who is also an assistant at Waterchase. Yes, it’s challenging to work with my brother, but I have also had my sister Heidi work for me and my cousin JJ Jansen. I know Hans’ strengths and let him do his job. There is never any tension between us.

How did a Texas boy end up at Mississippi State?
Definitely influenced by a former assistant at Colonial, Mitchell Wilkerson. I got to know him when I was playing golf here and we became friends. I was a high school senior and had no idea what I wanted to do. Thought I could go somewhere and play golf but Mitchell talked me into visiting MSU and looking into the turf program. My mom and I drove to Starkville one day, in the middle of the summer, and I signed up on the spot. It is a very special place to me.

Probably the biggest influence on me to get in to the golf business was former Colonial superintendent, Tom Werner. I got to know him while I was a kid playing golf and then worked for him during three summer “tours of duty”. Tom used to let me ride along with him when he was watering greens and he always gave me the “privilege” of dragging the hose. We had a lot of fun naming syringe hoses and Tom’s favorite was Bertha. He has probably been the biggest influence in my career and I appreciate him for it.

How is your family doing?
Awesome. I have two boys, Luke, 13, and Nicholas, nine. Luke announced, just last night, that he is planning to attend Mississippi State and is going to be a superintendent. My wife, Andrea, and I have been married 18 years and going strong. She is originally from Big Spring, Texas, and has a Masters in English from Texas Tech. She is a Pre-K – 4 teacher at Redeemer Lutheran Church School in West Fort Worth.


Who are some of your best friends in the business?
Charlie Trammell and I go way back but I don’t have anyone to play golf with since he moved to Austin. I do business with Jon Treibly and we are also close friends. We have spent a lot of time fishing and skiing together.

You come back to Colonial every year?
Definitely, this is a special place and it gets in your blood. I have a lot of family and career memories here.

OK, now for the touchy, feely stuff, what is your favorite color?
Green – duh. 

Touché.

And what would be your Fantasy Foursome?
It would be an 8-some with mom driving the cart and keeping score!

Thanks for the coffee, Hud. Good to get to know you a little better.


No comments:

Post a Comment