Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Meet new GCSAA member Sarah Glenn

Sarah Glenn is a new GCSAA and North Texas GCSA member and the assistant superintendent at Plantation Golf Club in Frisco, Texas. She is a 2014 graduate of Texas Tech University where she earned a Bachelor’s of Science in Horticulture with an emphasis in Turfgrass Science.

I met Glenn at the NTGCSA February Education meeting at Royal Oaks and asked her to tell us about herself. This interview was originally published in the North Texas GCSA newsletter.

We welcome Sarah to the GCSAA and the NTGCSA. We look forward to your participation and seeing you at events in 2016.

Where are you from?
I was born and raised in Garland, Texas, and number three of four children. I have an older brother who is 30, a 27-year-old sister who is 15 months older than me, and my baby brother who is 20 years old.

And we hear there are wedding bells in your future?
Yes. I will marry my college sweetheart Nicklas Jackson. When I first met him, he was a rookie gas and diesel mechanic and now he's in the medical field working in the OR at Parkland Hospital. Our wedding is during Memorial Day weekend this year! We wed on Saturday, the 28th of May in Port Aransas, Texas. In just two months y'all will know me as Sarah C. Jackson.

What do you do with your spare time when you aren’t working on the course or making wedding plans?
My hobbies have grown and changed since I moved back to Dallas last March. While living in Lubbock, there wasn't much to do except keep yourself busy with school, work or happy hour. I absolutely love being outdoors, especially hiking with my two dogs. The thing I look forward to the most is shooting sporting clays every other weekend with my fiancé at our favorite range. I play golf occasionally but plan to really get into it once I'm older.

Tell us about your decision to pursue a career in golf course / turfgrass management?
After two major changes at Tech, a friend of mine suggested the turf program in the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources. After my first plant ID class, I was hooked. Plus, the perk of being outside was the main selling point.

Were there challenges along the way?
Sometimes I get mistaken for a cart girl. Hey, it happens. I've been presented with interior personal challenges. For example, how to suppress certain emotions. I don't want to be viewed as weak or vacuous, so I keep my emotions at bay. Whether it be excitement, happiness, or even anger.

How was your experience working with Rodnie Burmea at the Rawls Course in Lubbock?
I was employed with The Rawls Course which is affiliated with Troon Golf during and after college. Once I graduated in August of 2014, I was switched to full-time employment and became their spray tech until I moved to Dallas. Rodnie and the rest of the staff were completely supportive of my goals and soon made me feel like I was "one of the guys". None of them had ever worked with a woman before and at times it was apparent, but as time went on, me being of the opposite sex didn't seem as much of an issue. The crew at The Rawls was the best group of guys I could have the honor to work with. They were patient, respectful, great teachers, and my friends.

I relocated back to the DFW area for a job in horticulture at the Dallas Arboretum to better familiarize myself with additional plants not typically associated with golf courses. It was a fun job and I gained more experience with irrigation and the designing of large areas with diverse species of plants. But, deep down, I missed the smell of fresh cut grass in the morning and the solitary time I gained with doing specific tasks on the golf course.

And how did you end up working with one of the top superintendents in the DFW area, Tony Rodriguez?
I applied at a golf course for the assistant superintendent position at Plantation Golf Club, and not even six hours later I received a phone call from Tony offering me an interview. The next day I was offered the job, and in less than three years I went from raking bunkers to the current position I hold today.

Please talk about the challenges of working in a male-dominated field?
I learned from my previous employer that it's professional to look a little feminine on the job. Women are considered a minority in this industry, no doubt. My defense mechanism was to wear loose-fitted clothing and to refrain from wearing perfume. Anyone who knows me well knows I never go anywhere without my perfume on. I used men's deodorant so I could blend in while trying to divert any attention to myself. Now, I make an effort to appear — and smell — less masculine, like having my nails done. Usually, there's no doubt in people's mind when they see red or orange nails.

What advice do you have for other women considering a career in the golf maintenance industry, or for that matter, any other male-dominated field?
There have been many instances where I have been welcomed and accepted. A few other times, I was met with stiff rejection and cold expressions. All of those experiences have desensitized me and prepared me to meet just about anyone. If a woman wants to pursue a career in this field, she needs to have a thick skin and a rock solid support system. You will encounter negativity and doubt sometimes, but how you handle yourself in those situations will speak volumes about your character.

Great stuff, thanks very much for your candid comments and for letting us get to know you better. Good luck with your position at Plantation Golf Club and your future career. Any final thoughts?
I've worked hard to get where I'm at and I won't stop until I've reached my final goal of becoming a superintendent. I thank the people who have motivated and helped me get to where I'm at, but it goes to prove that a female can make it in this career with hard work and dedication. Thank you very much to the NTGCSA for making me feel welcome and this opportunity to share my story!

No comments:

Post a Comment